בית פורומים כל העולם כולו

ביה"ח פאר בערל פר"מ ביז נאך הקמת מציבה

שלום אורח. באפשרותך להתחבר או להירשם
הצג 15 הודעות בעמוד הוסף לדף האישי  דווח למנהל שלח לחבר
נשלח ב-26/4/2006 19:49 לינק ישיר 
ביה"ח פאר בערל פר"מ ביז נאך הקמת מציבה

ראזענוואסער ארדער: ביה"ח באלאנגט פאר בערל פר"מ ביז נאך הקמת מציבה




דווח על תוכן פוגעני

מנותק
נשלח ב-26/4/2006 19:53 לינק ישיר 

תוקן על ידי - חיים_יושע - 26/04/2006 19:55:53



דדווח על תוכן פוגעני

מנותק
נשלח ב-26/4/2006 21:31 לינק ישיר 

איז אמת אז ראזענוואסער אז ראזענוואסער האט זיך אפגעזאגט פון דעם קעיס אויפן באפעל פון אפילס קאורט?



דדווח על תוכן פוגעני

מחובר
נשלח ב-1/5/2006 02:54 לינק ישיר 

Proceedings                      1


            1     SUPREME COURT OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK
                  COUNTY OF ORANGE
            2    
                  ...............................................X
            3    
                  CONGREGATION YETEV LEV D'SATMAR OF KIRYAS JOEL,
            4     INC. AND MOSHE SCHER,
                                     Plaintiffs
            5    
                                 -against-
            6    
                  CONGREGATION YETEV LEV D'SATMAR, INC., MANUAL
            7     MANGUAL, JENO KAHAN, SOL PERLSTEIN, JACOB SCHOENFELD
                  SOLOMON SANDER, JOHN DOE "1-50", U.T.A. MESIVTA OF KJ,
            8     UNITED TALMUDICAL SEMINARY AND UNITED TALMUDICAL
                  ACADEMY TORAH V'YIRAH, INC.
            9                        Defendants
                  ...............................................X
           10    
                                             Government Center
           11                                Goshen, NY 10924
                                             July 26th, 2006
           12    
                 
           13     B E F O R E:
                                 HON. STEWART A. ROSENWASSER
           14                    Supreme Court Justice
                 
           15    
                  APPEARANCES:
           16    
                       FEERICK LYNCH MACCARTNEY
           17               99 South Broadway,
                            South Nyack, NY 10960
           18          BY:  DONALD J. FEERICK, JR.
                 
           19          JACOBOWITZ & GUBITS, LLP         
                            158 Orange Avenue PO Box 367
           20               Walden, NY 12586
                       BY:  DONALD G. NICHOL, ESQ.
           21    
                       TARSHIS, CATANIA, LIBERTH & MILLIGRAM                            
           22          PLLC.
                            One Corwin Court
           23               PO Box 1479
                            Newburgh, NY 19550
           24          BY:  RICHARD M. MAHON II
                 
           25    
                 




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  

            1    
                       SMITH, BUSS & JACOBS, ESQ.
            2               500 Fifth Avenue.
                            New York, NY 10110
            3          BY:  JEFFREY D. BUSS, ESQ.
                       AND: GERALD KAHN, ESQ.
            4     
                       LESTER PAVERMAN, ESQ.
            5               Attorney for New York City.
                            Police Department.
            6               Legal Bureau Rm 1406
                            One Police Plaza
            7               New York, NY 10038
                      
            8          HERRICK FEINSTEIN LLP
                            2 Park Avenue
            9               New York, NY 10016
                       BY: SCOTT E. MOLLEN, ESQ.
           10    
                       RIDER, WEINER & FRANKEL PC
           11               655 Little Britain Road
                            New Windsor, NY 12553
           12          BY:  BRUCE C. DUNN, SR.
                 
           13          HERRICK FEINSTEIN LLP
                            2 Penn Plaza
           14               Newark, NJ 07105
                       BY:  RACHEL C. ENGELSTEIN, ESQ.
           15    
                       GOLDBERG, RIMBERG & FRIEDLANDER PLLC
           16               115 Broadway, 3rd Floor
                            New York, NY 10006
           17          BY:  ISRAEL GOLDBERG, ESQ.
                 
           18          THE GORDON LAW OFFICE
                            55 Main St.
           19               PO Box 111
                            Goshen, NY 10924
           20          BY:  MARK J. GORDON, ESQ.
                 
           21    
                               
           22                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM

           23                   Official Court Reporter

           24    

           25              




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      3


            1               THE COURT:  The Court will come to order. 

            2               MR. FEERICK:  Good morning, Donald Feerick of

            3          Feerick, Lynch and MacCartney, appearing on behalf

            4          of defendant Mesivta of KJ.

            5               MR. NICHOL:  Donald Nichol of Jacobowitz and

            6          Gubits appearing on behalf of the proposed

            7          intervenor Village of KJ.

            8               MR. MAHON:  Richard Mahon, Tarshis, Catania,

            9          Liberth and Milligram, appearing on behalf of

           10          plaintiffs Congregation Yetev Lev D'Satmar. 

           11               MR. KAHN:  Gerald Kahn, Smith, Buss and Jacobs,

           12          on behalf of defendants congregation Yetev Lev

           13          D'Satmar Inc.

           14               MR. BUSS:  Good morning.  Jeffrey Buss, Smith,

           15          Buss and Jacobs, appearing on behalf of the

           16          defendants, Congregation Yetev Lev D'Satmar Inc. 

           17               MR. PAVERMAN:  Lester Paverman, appearing on

           18          behalf of New York City Police Department.

           19               MR. MOLLEN: Scott Mollen, attorney FOR

           20          Congregation Yetev Lev D'Satmar, Jeno Kahan, Sol

           21          Perlstein, Jacob Schoenfeld, and Solomon Sander.

           22               MR. DUNN: Bruce Dunn, co-counsel to Herrick and

           23          Feinstein.

           24               MS. ENGELSTEIN:  Rachel Engelstein, from

           25          Herrick Feinstein.




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      4


            1               MR. GOLDBERG:  Israel Goldberg, appearing on

            2          behalf of the UTA defendants.

            3               MR. GORDON:  Mark Gordon, appearing on behalf

            4          of UTA.

            5               THE COURT:  Good morning.  Is that everybody? 

            6          Okay, first off, Mr. Nichol, you're pretty much done

            7          here. 

            8               Your motion is dismissed in its entirety.  You

            9          can go.  That was easy. 

           10               Now, as to the rest of you, is there any

           11          request for new relief other than what was put in

           12          the papers?  Let me repeat that.  Is there any other

           13          request for other or different relief other than

           14          what was in the papers?  Anyone?  Hearing none, this

           15          is really all moot. 

           16               MR. MOLLEN:  Your Honor, the one request, it's

           17          not in the papers, from our side, is that we have a

           18          concern, which I'm sure Your Honor will understand,

           19          that we would like some way of dealing with their

           20          emergency applications, rather than at a time, at

           21          the end of the day, where we do not have time to

           22          seek review.  We're concerned going forward.

           23               THE COURT:  I see.  Well, here is my -- this

           24          would be my suggestion.  It's just a suggestion. 

           25          All this stuff ought to be in the Appellate Division




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      5


            1          ab initio, to be honest with you, because gas being

            2          3.50 a gallon, and you've got to drive to Brooklyn

            3          anyway, and, you know, the case is going to wind up

            4          there, however it winds up, and ultimately, shortly

            5          I assume, and whether it ultimately ends all this, I

            6          don't know, I would hope so, but I kind of doubt it. 

            7          So you all know I have got about two more days on

            8          the bench, so I hope there are no emergencies

            9          between now and Friday at five.  I was called out to

           10          sign these on a table at a delicatessen in the

           11          Village of Montgomery the other night.  I'd rather

           12          be eating a sandwich, but I was willing to sign it,

           13          so I just want to know, if there is no other request

           14          for relief here, there is nothing really to discuss

           15          concerning these pending applications, I mean, what

           16          is done is now done. 

           17               The TRO, the one that was taken, there is

           18          really no reason for any of this stuff to continue,

           19          and I would deem these all either disposed of, or

           20          dismissed as moot now.  The funeral's been

           21          conducted.  I would hope that any disagreement or

           22          violence was kept to a minimum, and whether it was

           23          because of these orders or not I don't know, but

           24          either way it's over.  And there being no further

           25          requests for relief here,
I spoke to Justice




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      6


            1          Prudenti this morning in anticipation of this coming

            2          on, and I will tell you what she told me; she said

            3          that if any further clarification was needed

            4          concerning any stay relief that the Appellate

            5          Division granted, then this would not be the forum

            6          to seek that clarification, expansion, or

            7          limitation, and I agree with her, because who am I

            8          to disagree with her, if there is a request for new

            9          relief today, which is why I started this with that

           10          preface.  She says, well, just go through the normal

           11          protocol, they will hear the request, and decide it

           12          as they see fit, then it will ultimately end up on

           13          Clerk Pelzer's desk, to be assigned to the duty

           14          judge, and that is where we are.  So, you know,

           15          really, in the first instance, if it deals with

           16          issues of use of property, short-term, long-term, I

           17          think that goes to the issue of the parameters of

           18          the stay, and the Appellate Division wants to hear

           19          that from the outset; appropriately.  So the only

           20          reason you're all still here is because the judgment

           21          hasn't been signed, otherwise there'd be no case

           22          before me.  I don't think the state prevents me from

           23          signing.  I think there is some objection to the

           24          judgment as submitted.  I may or may not get to sign

           25          the judgment by Friday.  So there will be




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      7


            1          technically a pending open case here in Orange, but

            2          it will be someone else's going forward. 

            3               Mr. Buss, I see you wanted to say something. 

            4               MR. BUSS:  Yes, Your Honor, I did.  When Your

            5          Honor inquired if there was request for additional

            6          relief, we all remained silent because the request

            7          for relief I don't believe is, by definition, moot. 

            8          My understanding is that the memorial services are

            9          continuing, and that there are a significant number

           10          of people that are anticipated that will be coming

           11          to Brooklyn and probably to the Village and the

           12          cemetery over the next 30 days, people from outside

           13          the United States.

           14               THE COURT:  Well, the temporary relief as

           15          concerns the operation of the cemetery, that all

           16          remains.  I mean, I don't think any of that was

           17          disturbed, as I got copies from the Appellate

           18          Division that were e-mailed to me last night, and in

           19          terms of -- yes, the order to show cause brought by

           20          the plaintiff really deals with the, I guess,

           21          operation of the cemetery.  What is the problem with

           22          the memorial services in Monroe? 

           23               MR. MAHON:  Your Honor -- Richard Mahon

           24          speaking -- the only change, in our Order to Show

           25          Cause, the only change was the Appellate Division




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      8


            1          struck some language and indicated that the TRO

            2          language was pending the hearing of this motion, and

            3          the motion itself had to do with the funeral

            4          services, and the rights carried out or observed.  I

            5          think what Jeff was saying is that there is going to

            6          be a period now of 30 days where people continue to

            7          visit the cemetery, because the Grand Rebbe was

            8          buried at five a.m. in the morning.

            9               THE COURT:  What is the problem with that? 

           10               MR. MAHON:  Well --

           11               THE COURT:  Why is there an issue with that? 

           12               MR. MAHON:  I just wanted to make sure, since

           13          this is the hearing of the motion, that there is

           14          some protection in place that there is no

           15          interference and there is no obstruction during the

           16          30 day period where people will continue to visit

           17          the cemetery property.

           18               THE COURT:  Can you stipulate to something to

           19          avoid all this? 

           20               MR. MOLLEN: My understanding is that the Burial

           21          Society will continue to oversee any of the

           22          activities at the cemetery, as it has in the past,

           23          and I am not aware that there is any interference

           24          that is even alleged. 

           25               THE COURT:  But they're not a party to this




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                      9


            1          proceeding.  What I'm asking is, can everyone agree

            2          that there will be no problem concerning the access

            3          to the cemetery property for the purposes of paying

            4          respects? 

            5               MR. MAHON:  Yes.

            6               THE COURT:  I cannot direct the Burial Society

            7          to do anything since they are not a party. 

            8               MR. DUNN:  I think it would be our

            9          understanding, since the Appellate stay referred all

           10          matters back to before July 11th when the action was

           11          started, back to the status quo, that nobody has a

           12          problem accessing the cemetery, and we agree.  We

           13          agree with that. 

           14               MR. MAHON: But that has nothing to do with

           15          this.  This application was not mooted in the

           16          Appellate Division.  They didn't cross out the TRO

           17          language.

           18               THE COURT:  That is fine.  I can adjourn this

           19          30 days, and the temporary relief that is in that

           20          Order to Show Cause stays in effect.  We can play

           21          that game, if you want to do that, that's fine. 

           22               MR. BUSS:  That deals with the cemetery but our

           23          application also talks about other corporate

           24          property, and I believe there is an open issue there

           25          and, you know, perhaps we can discuss it, and




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     10


            1          stipulate to an understanding or perhaps there is a

            2          need for an additional order but 550 Bedford Avenue

            3          is corporate property.  It's located in Brooklyn, it

            4          was the residence of the Grand Rebbe but it's not a

            5          personal residence, and people are coming to pay

            6          respects to the family, to sit shiva, and there

            7          needs to be an inclusive aspect of that.  There is a

            8          concern that people will be excluded from entering

            9          or participating in those services, and the same

           10          thing with the --

           11               THE COURT:  Whose residence is it? 

           12               MR. BUSS:  The congregation's. 

           13               MR. DUNN:  It was lived in by the Grand Rebbe

           14          and his wife. 

           15               MR. MOLLEN:  But the bottom line is that in the

           16          Appellate Division -- I have argued this now twice

           17          in the Appellate Division.  On March 3, 2006 the

           18          Appellate Division said the scope of its decision

           19          related to the management of and the parties' use of

           20          the subject congregations's main synagogue and any

           21          other assets, including the cemetery property, so

           22          therefore what Your Honor had said at the outset,

           23          about if anybody needs any modification or any

           24          additional relief, with respect to the congregation

           25          property, the appropriate place is the Appellate




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     11


            1          Division, since they have ruled already.

            2              
THE COURT:  That was Justice Prudenti's advise

            3          to me.  I mean clearly, with the stay in place, I am

            4          not going to modify issues of use and access or

            5          management of congregation assets.  I just have no

            6          right to do so.  I'm stayed as well as everybody

            7          else, which is why she said, if there is any

            8          modification, expansion or clarification of the stay

            9          because of the events of the last couple of days,

           10          that are necessary, go to the Appellate Division. 

           11          It's their stay.  Because anything I do here now,

           12          you know, they can just undo, and rightfully so. 

           13               MR. BUSS:  I do not want to remain silent

           14          because there is a record being created.  If we do

           15          go to the Appellate Division it would be to seek

           16          clarification about use and access to the main

           17          synagogue, and to the corporate residence the Rebbe

           18          had resided in, to ensure that people are not

           19          arbitrarily excluded from entering or participating. 

           20               THE COURT:  I understand that. 

           21               It would seem to me that relief is only being

           22          sought between now and the date that it's ultimately

           23          decided there. 

           24               MR. MOLLEN: I spent more than one hour in the

           25          Appellate Division yesterday, and this is really a




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     12


            1          disingenuous argument to the court, because they

            2          stood in the Appellate Division yesterday and they

            3          explained their concerns, and they told the

            4          Appellate Division what they thought might occur,

            5          and the concern their clients had, and the Appellate

            6          Division listened to their arguments and the court

            7          ruled yesterday, so to come here and suggest that

            8          this court rule, and then if this court doesn't,

            9          perhaps they should go to the Appellate Division,

           10          what happened yesterday? 

           11               MR. KAHN:  What happened yesterday was, Your

           12          Honor, that the TRO aspect of that Order to Show

           13          Cause was not stricken, and it was apparent that

           14          you, Your Honor, would rule on the motion this

           15          morning, a mere sixteen hours later and that is what

           16          happened.  And your observation, Your Honor, that

           17          this belongs in the Appellate Division with regard

           18          to a determination as to what their order, their

           19          stay order means, is appropriate.  What we're doing

           20          here is making a record to set straight what our

           21          concerns are, and those certainly are valid.

           22               My information is that word was sent to Rabbi

           23          Arin that he would not be welcome there last night,

           24          and so he didn't go down there to sit with his

           25          mother on the night of his father's funeral.  And so




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     13


            1          that is something that is of concern to us, and it

            2          should be of concern to everybody.

            3               THE COURT:  Listen, whereever I stick my nose

            4          in, I can assure you it's not going to be between a

            5          son and his mother.  There are some things beyond

            6          the jurisdiction of this court.

            7               MR. KAHN:  I agree with that, Your Honor. 

            8               THE COURT: 
Let me just say again, at the risk

            9          of repeating myself, the orders I signed were on an

           10          emergency basis, you know, knowing full well that

           11          within a very short few hours the need for them

           12          would have evaporated.  That was the thought when I

           13          signed them.  They're of very little long-standing

           14          value and were not intended to have any

           15          long-standing or permanent effect on the relative

           16          rights of these parties as they now exist in the

           17          Appellate Division.  Any request for relief that

           18          deals with the assets of Brooklyn Congregation under

           19          the terms of the stay, in the short-term, or pending

           20          a decision on the appeal, has to go there.  I don't

           21          see where I have any right to do otherwise, or

           22          authority to do otherwise or discretion to do

           23          otherwise, and I don't see any request for relief

           24          here that is outside the ambit of what was argued in

           25          the stay proceeding.  It deals with issues of




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     14


            1          access, management, and control of assets, pending

            2          the stay, or pending the decision on the appeal, and

            3          I guess now the expedited appeal of my decision, so

            4          to come here to say, we want access to a house that

            5          is congregation property for the purposes of making

            6          a shiva call, I think it's a modification of the

            7          scope of the stay, and I discussed this with Justice

            8          Prudenti this morning in anticipation of just

            9          exactly what I thought would be some of the issues. 

           10               MR. GOLDBERG:  If I may -- Israel Goldberg --

           11          as I'm hearing the court and I was at the Appellate

           12          Division yesterday, the status quo language relates

           13          to the management and it's talking about the

           14          financial management aspect of the congregation, not

           15          the religious aspect.  The shiva call, and the

           16          ability of somebody to go up to the podium and lead

           17          the services in the memory of his father is a

           18          religious aspect.  What Mr. Mollen is suggesting is

           19          that Rabbi Arin, if he gets up to the podium to lead

           20          the prayer service, will be excluded, and Mr. Kahan,

           21          who is his client, has the authority under the

           22          status quo to preclude him from conducting that

           23          service.  I don't think that was the intention of

           24          any court in the issuance of a status quo, that

           25          Mr. Kahan or anybody could preclude Rabbi Arin from




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     15


            1          getting up and conducting a prayer service

            2          memorializing his father.

            3               THE COURT:  We're getting way off, you know. 

            4               MR. MOLLEN: This is exactly what the Appellate

            5          Division was concerned with.  You can't have chaos

            6          at a pulpit inside a congregation.  Someone has to

            7          be in charge.  Rabbi Arin has his congregation.  He

            8          also has synagogues in Brooklyn.  This is our only

            9          main synagogue.  You cannot have people walking in,

           10          with thousands of people coming in and out, then

           11          have a dispute at the pulpit, and we've had a

           12          history of violence and fights, so someone has to

           13          make a decision.  In this courtroom you are that

           14          person.  In the congregation somebody has to make

           15          that decision. 

           16               MR. GOLDBERG:  That is precisely what

           17          Mr. Mollen argued could not be done, when he said

           18          there was a need to have a separation between the

           19          religious aspects and management of the corporate

           20          entity, the secular aspects.  Saying who can go up

           21          to the podium, that is a religious matter.  When

           22          somebody is saying a kadish for his father and leads

           23          a service for his father, that is a religious

           24          matter.  Mr. Mollen now says that Mr. Kahan is the

           25          one who presides, under the status quo, over




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     16


            1          religious and secular matters as well.  He has now

            2          altered the terms and conditions of what everybody

            3          understood that status quo to be and entered into a

            4          new area and taken it somewhere else.  

            5               MR. MOLLEN:  Except the Appellate Division

            6          order specifically not only talked about ownership,

            7          not only talked about financial factors, as

            8          Mr. Goldberg indicated, but in the words of the

            9          Appellate Division, it was the parties use of the

           10          main synagogue and corporate assets, so to suggest

           11          that, after losing in the Appellate Division, and

           12          now coming to you and asking you to overrule the

           13          Appellate Division, they can ask, but as Your Honor

           14          indicated, it is not something that this court

           15          should be doing.

           16               THE COURT:  I'm good, I'm not that good.

           17               MR. GOLDBERG:  Since there is a record it

           18          should be clear that when Mr. Mollen -- Mr. Mollen

           19          as I understand it has said the use encompasses both

           20          the religious and secular aspects of management of

           21          the congregation. 

           22               MR. MOLLEN:  Use is plain language.  The use of

           23          the property.  As Judge Rosenwasser pointed out, if

           24          you want to clarify what the Appellate Division

           25          said, go back to the Appellate Division.  The


תוקן על ידי - עכטע_נייעס - 01/05/2006 3:14:23



דדווח על תוכן פוגעני

מנותק
נשלח ב-1/5/2006 02:57 לינק ישיר 

  Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     16


            1          religious and secular matters as well.  He has now

            2          altered the terms and conditions of what everybody

            3          understood that status quo to be and entered into a

            4          new area and taken it somewhere else.  

            5               MR. MOLLEN:  Except the Appellate Division

            6          order specifically not only talked about ownership,

            7          not only talked about financial factors, as

            8          Mr. Goldberg indicated, but in the words of the

            9          Appellate Division, it was the parties use of the

           10          main synagogue and corporate assets, so to suggest

           11          that, after losing in the Appellate Division, and

           12          now coming to you and asking you to overrule the

           13          Appellate Division, they can ask, but as Your Honor

           14          indicated, it is not something that this court

           15          should be doing.

           16               THE COURT:  I'm good, I'm not that good.

           17               MR. GOLDBERG:  Since there is a record it

           18          should be clear that when Mr. Mollen -- Mr. Mollen

           19          as I understand it has said the use encompasses both

           20          the religious and secular aspects of management of

           21          the congregation. 

           22               MR. MOLLEN:  Use is plain language.  The use of

           23          the property.  As Judge Rosenwasser pointed out, if

           24          you want to clarify what the Appellate Division

           25          said, go back to the Appellate Division.  The




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     17


            1          Appellate Division has spoken twice.  They're taking

            2          a shot now here again.

            3               THE COURT:  Yes. 

            4               MR. MAHON:  The only thing the Appellate

            5          Division hasn't ruled on from their order back in

            6          the first week in March is what happens after the

            7          Grand Rebbe dies, because the Grand Rebbe was alive

            8          when they rendered their order.  That motion was

            9          before you.  They didn't * the TRO so that

           10          motion is here today, so from the point of view of

           11          the plaintiffs we're just asking that for 30 days

           12          that your order remain in place, so that people who

           13          visit the cemetery will have peace and calm.

           14               THE COURT:  No one has a problem with how the

           15          cemetery's business is going to be conducted through

           16          the next 30 days?  Do I hear if anyone has a problem

           17          with that?  Any one of you?  Mr. Mollen, do you have

           18          a problem with that, sir? 

           19               MR. MOLLEN:  I'm not aware of any problem.

           20               THE COURT:  Do you have, as the attorneys for

           21          your clients, have a problem with continuing this

           22          TRO for 30 days regarding use and access to the

           23          cemetery property? 

           24               MR. MOLLEN:  We have a problem with any court

           25          other than the Appellate Division issuing any order




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     18


            1          with respect to the use of congregation property. 

            2          If there is a law enforcement issue, that is the law

            3          enforcement issue, and they know how to deal

            4          with it.

            5               THE COURT:  The Appellate Division reviewed

            6          this and did not * that, so obviously it did

            7          not run afoul of anything the Appellate Division

            8          did, from what I can tell, so the temporary order

            9          remains in effect. 

           10               MR. MOLLEN:  With respect to the observations

           11          during the 30 days, can we stipulate nobody intends

           12          to interfere.  We expect it to go in the ordinary

           13          course, the way it has been going. 

           14               MR. MAHON:  I just want to clarify for the

           15          record, I understand what the stipulation is but I

           16          want to make sure that there is an order in effect,

           17          besides us just agreeing on the record for the next

           18          30 days that they will remain in effect.

           19               THE COURT:  How about this, I'm adjourning it

           20          for 30 days. 

           21               MR. KAHN:  And continuing the stay, Your Honor? 

           22               THE COURT:  All the relief contained therein is

           23          stayed for 30 days.  I'm sure in 30 days it will be

           24          moot. 

           25               MR. DUNN: If I can just quote a little bit from




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     19


            1          the decision and order, which was the stay of March

            2          the Third.  It deals particularly with respect to

            3          the cemetery, that the, "Parties' officers, agents,

            4          successors, assigns or any other person acting on

            5          their behalf, are enjoined from changing the status

            6          quo which existed as of July 11th."

            7               THE COURT:  I know what the stay says,

            8          Mr. Dunn.  The Appellate Division had the

            9          opportunity to * this, as they did the other

           10          relief.  They didn't do it. 

           11               MR. MOLLEN:  Since we're bound by the Appellate

           12          Division order of March Third, we didn't think it

           13          was necessary to fight that, because we accept --

           14               THE COURT:  So you didn't fight it and it is

           15          not inconsistent with anything the Appellate

           16          Division said on March Third, or any other time. 

           17               MR. MOLLEN:  We agree.

           18               THE COURT:  So at least we agree on something. 

           19          I'm going to adjourn that Order to Show Cause

           20          relating to the status quo with respect to the use,

           21          possession, and access to the cemetery property; it

           22          will be adjourned thirty days from today's date.  To

           23          the extent it's necessary to come back on that date

           24          I'll give you the date of May 31st. 

           25               Now, does anybody else want to make more of a




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     20


            1          record? 

            2               MR. PAVERMAN:  Just to put on the record that

            3          in the event the court would entertain any motion

            4          which would request any direction to the New York

            5          City Police Department, we'd like to be heard

            6          regarding that issue.

            7               THE COURT:  I'm very hesitant to direct the New

            8          York City Police Department or any other Police

            9          Department to do anything, but I certainly don't

           10          anticipate another application here. 

           11               MR. MOLLEN:  And I hope Your Honor would agree

           12          that there would not be any harm, since counsel, we

           13          all know each other, we all have office phone

           14          numbers, many of us have cell phone numbers, if they

           15          intend to make any more applications here, that at

           16          least they should be on notice and with an

           17          opportunity to be heard.  It's the same as in the

           18          Appellate Division. 

           19               THE COURT:  Along the same lines, Mr. Mollen,

           20          I've been in touch with the Appellate Division, in

           21          the run up to the Grand Rebbe's death, because I

           22          anticipated what was going to happen.  I spoke to

           23          the clerk, I spoke to Justice Prudenti, and I was

           24          advised that you all, as the parties, were working

           25          in ernest to come up with some stipulation to avoid




                                    Neil Bostock, RPR-CM                  




                                         Proceedings                     21


            1          anyone having to go to court.  And we were all

            2          hopeful that no application would be necessary to

            3          govern those hours and days following what occurred. 

            4          But it didn't work that way.  It just didn't work

            5          out.  So certainly I think it's not inappropriate to

            6          put you on notice for any emergency applications.  I

            7          don't think that is an inappropriate request at all. 

            8          Thank you.

            9               Had it been - had I had your home numbers or

           10          cell numbers, I may have called you myself, you

           11          know, when I got these papers, but I didn't.  But

           12          again, if you're dealing with access to property now

           13          in Brooklyn, congregation property, that clearly

           14          must come under the scope of that stay in some way,

           15          shape, manner, or form, in the absence on any

           16          stipulation, and in the absence of any new

           17          application, which there is none, I am directed to

           18          advise you to go to the Appellate Division and make

           19          the appropriate application for clarification of the

           20          stay, and if you wish some access for some purpose

           21          to some property, or asset, synagogue, or any other

           22          building, until they make their decision, that is

           23          where it ought to be done.  That is according to the

           24          presiding justice and I don't disagree with that. So

           25          that being all, gentlemen, we are concluded

תוקן על ידי - עכטע_נייעס - 01/05/2006 3:16:00



דדווח על תוכן פוגעני

מנותק
נשלח ב-1/5/2006 02:58 לינק ישיר 

דאס איז די טרענסקריפט איך זעה פון דא אז די ארוינים זענען בעה"ב פון בית החיים פאר 30 טעג בין איך גערעכט אדער נישט איך קען נישט אזוי גיט ענגליש אויב איך בין נישט גערעכט זאגט מיר 

           14               MR. MAHON: But that has nothing to do with

           15          this.  This application was not mooted in the

           16          Appellate Division.  They didn't cross out the TRO

           17          language.

           18               THE COURT:  That is fine.  I can adjourn this

           19          30 days, and the temporary relief that is in that

           20          Order to Show Cause stays in effect.  We can play

           21          that game, if you want to do that, that's fine. 

תוקן על ידי - עכטע_נייעס - 01/05/2006 3:05:50



דדווח על תוכן פוגעני

מנותק
   
בית > פורומים > אקטואליה וחדשות > כל העולם כולו > ביה"ח פאר בערל פר"מ ביז נאך הקמת מציבה
מנהל לחץ כאן לנעילת האשכול
הוסף לעמוד האישי  דווח למנהל שלח לחבר

bholext